Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Thursday's Drawing Discussion

What were Drawings used for? And comparing it to the present:

In our group we discussed that drawings in the passed were used for historical records, cave paintings, architecture, preliminary sketches and studies, and medical diagrams. After discussing and comparing what drawing is used for today, it's obvious that the uses are pretty much the same over thousands of years. We did find a difference in the use of being able to draw many different drawing to portrait a story now and having to draw all movement in one scene like was common in the past. After the discussion I think that it was agreed among us that the value of drawing has diminished with other media and the use of computers.

When has drawing been most interesting to you?

Our group talked mostly about past experiences beginning as a child. I shared my story about how I begin to love drawing and depicting objects and people. When I was younger I would copy my Scooby-Doo Folders and draw the over and over and over. Than in eighth grade we were allowed to do a creative project along with a bibliography on a famous person. So I picked Bill Cosby and drew his portrait. From then... I loved to draw and I loved to do draw portraits of people.

What should the drawings be used for today?

We came to a conclusion that we think putting a specific use on a drawing is taking away it's value. We basically left it at that.

No comments: