Thursday, February 5, 2009

Science and Art

As a began to think of what to do when I came to this project I have been defining myself as a person and what I am interested in as an artist. As a person I have came to the conclusion that I love nature and that the natural aspects of science draw me in. I have decided an artist I am interested in line, color, and human figures. This is the beginning of my thought and the beginnings of my ideas.

Aging: As an artist I have always been attracted to the human face and the beauty of peoples different features. So my first Idea is Aging. To bring a science twist into it I want to bring in plastic surgery and/or beauty products. It is estimated that the physical aspect of a 70 year old person can be slowed down so far as to make them look in there fifties. I find this unbelievable and very interesting. So I thought this idea would be a great way to bring in my interest in the human figure and line quality.

Trees:
Every day I drive here to Stout. My drive is over an hour of trees, trees, and more trees. Every day I notice more and more about the relationship between trees and humans. As curious as it may sound I feel like there are many similarities

-The bark of a tree, the skin of a person
-The crack in a wood, the wrinkle on our skin
-The limbs of a tree, the arms/legs of a person
-The hard bark, the callous of our skin
-being able to read the age of a tree by it's bark, the smooth skin of a new tree or baby
-dieing of a tree and a person
-The tragedy of a young tree dying, the sadness of a young person
-The movement in a tree, the movement of a person

If anybody has any other comparisons or thoughts let me know!!

My last idea is the coloring of a bug:
The attraction of living creatures and colors brings me to this idea. I was maybe thinking about exploring the color of a bug through this project. The patterns and designs and how they are created are really fascinating. I have to explore more of each before I decide but this is just a brief idea of what has been running through my head.

No comments: